Crawfish is a big deal down south and this Natural Crawfish Boil Recipe is great for your traditional, backyard Crawfish Boil.
A good rule of thumb is to plan on three pounds of crawfish per person, which seems like a lot, but there’s more shell than meat.
If you’re not a crawfish fan, no worries, you can substitute the crawfish with other fish like crab or shrimp, but the poundage per person will certainly change.
You can ask your local fish market for portion sizes per person too.
Store Bought Crawfish Boil Seasonings
Most store-bought, prepackaged, crawfish boil seasonings contain either multiple forms of sugar, unnatural ingredients – like MSG, or both. All which wreck havoc on your body, spike your blood sugar, and increases or intensifies your cravings for several hours following.
Here are few ingredient labels for some store-bought Crawfish Boil Seasonings.
Zatarain’s Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Boil
Salt, Dextrose, Spices (including red pepper), Natural Flavor, Paprika, Monosodium Glutamate, Lemon Puree, Sugar, and Lemon Juice.
LOUISIANA Fish Fry Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Boil
Salt, Spices, Dextrose, Paprika, Dried Onion, Dried Garlic, Natural Flavors, Monosodium Glutamate, Natural Lemon Oil Flavor, Citric Acid.
All ingredients listed on the labels are in order of quantity. This means the product contains very high amounts of it’s first few ingredients.
Notice how Dextrose – a form of sugar – is very close to the top of the ingredient list for both of these off-the-shelf seasoning packets meaning it’s highly concentrated with sugar.
Also, notice how both contain Monosodium Glutamate, aka MSG, which has been known to cause a whole host of problems inside the body.
Lastly, which I often laugh about sometimes, notice how in the Zatarain’s Crawfish Boil, they also add more sugar – as if the dextrose wasn’t enough. Maybe they thought if they changed the name it would throw you off – sneaky little guys.
Serving Crawfish the Fun Way
The best way to serve crawfish is to simply dump it all on an outdoor table and enjoy.
Have a few large trash cans nearby and a cooler full of drinks and you’ll be all set for the day!
Natural Crawfish Boil Recipe
10 lbs Crawfish
Ingredients – Spices:
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 2 tbsp cloves
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 1 lb salt
- 4 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp ground mustard
- 1 tbsp dill
- 6 bay leaves
Ingredients – Vegetables:
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 8 ears of corn
- 2 heads of garlic
- 2 lbs mushrooms
- 2 lbs brussels sprouts
- Fill a large outdoor boiling pot and strainer with 5 gallons of water and bring water to a boil.
- While the water is heating, rinse and stir the crawfish in a large ice chest multiple times to ensure they are fully cleaned. Be sure to discard any dead ones. The crawfish will naturally take on the clean water and purge themselves of the waste so the water might look very dirty with the initial cleaning.
- Once water has reached a boil, add the spices and stir around.
- Add the potatoes, corn, and garlic. Cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Then add the mushrooms and brussels sprouts. Cook covered for another 5 minutes.
- Finally, add the crawfish. Cook covered for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
How Do You Enjoy Crawfish?
Do you make an amazing crawfish etouffee or jambalaya?
Have you tried a crawfish boil similar seasoning similar to this one?
I’d love to hear from you.
Comment below and join the conversation.